Our question is... Has our world faced challenges?
Our theme this term is World War Two.
We will be exploring what it was like for children living through the Second World War. We will learn all about evacuation, rationing, the home front, women at war and much more. Our lessons will include real-life extracts, which explain what it was like for people living through the war.
Our class text in English is 'Letters from the lighthouse by Emma Carroll' and all of our writing will be based on this story and the topic of WW2. You will be writing diary entries from different perspectives, writing post cards home as if you were an evacuee and creating suspense in narrative writing.
In maths this term, we will be revisiting Place Value and Number:
- read, write, order and compare numbers up to 10,000,000 and determine the value of each digit
- round any whole number to a required degree of accuracy
- use negative numbers in context, and calculate intervals across 0
- solve number and practical problems that involve all of the above
The four operations:
- multiply multi-digit numbers up to 4 digits by a two-digit whole number using the formal written method of long multiplication
- divide numbers up to 4 digits by a two-digit whole number using the formal written method of long division, and interpret remainders as whole number remainders, fractions, or by rounding, as appropriate for the context
- divide numbers up to 4 digits by a two-digit number using the formal written method of short division where appropriate, interpreting remainders according to the context
- perform mental calculations, including with mixed operations and large numbers
- identify common factors, common multiples and prime numbers
- use their knowledge of the order of operations to carry out calculations involving the 4 operations
- solve addition and subtraction multi-step problems in contexts, deciding which operations and methods to use and why
- solve problems involving addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- use estimation to check answers to calculations and determine, in the context of a problem, an appropriate degree of accuracy
In geography this term, we will be learning all about Natural Disasters and Extreme Weather. We will be focussing on Volcanoes and Earthquakes and learning how/why they are formed. Can you name any volcanoes? Do you know how Earthquakes are measured?
For Science this term, we will be exploring States of Matter. Matter makes up our physical universe, children will investigate the matter on Earth, which exists in one of three states: solid, liquid or gas.