What will we be learning about this term?
Our theme this term is 'How dark were the dark ages?' We will be learning about the Anglo-Saxons and looking at answering the following enquiry questions:
- Who were the Anglo-Saxons and why did they come to Britain?
- How did the Anglo-Saxons rule Britain?
- How do we know how the Anglo-Saxons lived?
- What was life like in an Anglo-Saxon village?
- What impact did Christianity have on the Anglo-Saxons?
- Can we really call this period ‘the dark ages’?
In English we are going to be reading Beowulf (Usborne edition). This term we will continue to build our descriptive skills, whilst working towards writing newspaper reports and our own myths.
In maths we will be moving onto measurement and then fractions:
- Convert between different units of measure
- Measure and calculate perimeter and area by counting squares
- money in pounds and pence
- problems involving time
- recognise and show families of common equivalent fractions
- count up and down in hundredths
- recognise and write decimal equivalents
- round and compare decimals
- solve simple measure and money problems
In science this term we will be exploring Forces and Light:
- compare how things move on different surfaces
- some forces need contact between two objects, but magnetic forces can act at a distance
- observe how magnets attract or repel each other
- compare and group together everyday materials
- describe magnets as having two poles
- predict whether two magnets will attract or repel each other, depending on which poles are facing.
- dark is the absence of light
- light is reflected from surfaces
- light from the sun can be dangerous and that there are ways to protect their eyes
- shadows are formed when the light from a light source is blocked by an opaque object
- find patterns in the way that the size of shadows change.
In Geography we will be exploring human geography: inc. types of settlement and answering the following questions.
1. What Did Early Settlers Need?
2. Where Would You Settle?
3. What's in a Name?
4. How Is Land Used in Settlements?
5. How Are Settlements Linked?
6. An Ideal Place to Settle
Art / DT
We will be working towards making an Anglo Saxon inspired brooch and creating Anglo Saxon villages.